Friday, September 5, 2008

Well, since starting this blog, this is the closest I have come to missing my goal of posting each and every weekday (holidays aside). But, here I am, before midnight my time. Later than usual, but here I am!

So, first up today, a little bragging, I guess. I've spoken here before about the South American thing I'm writing, and now I guess I can talk about it openly. After all, it was announce in Variety yesterday. I mean, the article is mainly about my collaborators, the Fabulous Russo Brothers, but I'm in there, too! Go... check it out now!

'Dupree' duo sets sights on 'Ciudad'

I won't say too much about today's scan. As I mentioned, it's late, and it's been a long day. Hell, after the Ciudad news hit the trades, I didn't stop drinking tequila 'til dawn!

As you may have heard here before, my own beloved Uncle Slam returns to the comics world in a few weeks, with UNCLE SLAM FIGHTS BACK! I only caught a glimpse of McCain's big speech last night, but I saw enough to crack a smile. You'll know why once you read our book, as our own version of McCain delivers a real cracker of a speech in those pages.

And, all this leads me to today's art scan. I met Bruce Timm for the first time about 15 years ago, at WonderCon. He crashed at the Action Planet table for awhile, doing sketches and hanging out. It was a pretty astonishing thing to observe. Every time I would look over at his work, a little gasp would escape from my lips. It was like, "Oh... that's the best Daredevil drawing I've ever-- Oh... that's the best Conan drawing I've-- Oh... that's the best Iron Man--", and so on.

Bruce is a fantastic cartoonist for a number of reasons. He draws well, his work is incredibly accessible, he knows how to tell a story and, most essential in my eyes, he knows how to distill the very essence of every character he touches into each and every amazing drawing.

You can imagine how annoying it was to ask Bruce for an Uncle Slam sketch, and then watch as he captured the essence of what Phil Hester and I had been trying to do with Slam in his very first attempt. This drawing nails the attitude of Slam. And, of course, it's a fantastic drawing.

Okay... enough outta me. Enjoy the genius, and come back for more tomorrow!

Anj

Uncle Slam is owned by... ME!!!

No comments: