Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday... Hillary on My Mind Again

I've spent a lot of time this evening trying to wrap my mind around the rumors about Hillary Clinton being offered the job of Secretary of State. I worry about her towing the line on Obama's foreign policy, I worry about Bill's role, I... I just worry. It's probably just residual worry from the election cycle, but I can't help it.

Anyway, I sought out Andrew Sullivan's blog for guidance, and he didn't disappoint.

"I defer to Marc's reporting. But this idea just resonates with me as classic Obama. I don't think Clinton as secretary of state would be mere symbolism. And I think it's a brilliant way to coopt her without in any way demeaning her. More to the point: Dick Morris is furious and Drudge is trying to wish the story away. That tells you what smart politics this would be. The more I think about it, the more I support it. She did her duty this fall. And she is the kind of toughie who could be a real Iron Lady type with the Russians and Iranians. That global presence would be a better prep for a future presidential run (yes, I'll jump off that bridge when we get to it) and help separate her from her hubby. And if she turns Obama down, her leverage against him is weakened anyway. He did his best. Due diligence, and all that.
But I don't think it's a head-fake. And I think she may say yes."
- Andrew Sullivan

I'll see you all back here next week, I hope. I plan on getting back to the art posting.

Anj

5 comments:

Mad Ernie said...

I predicted this back when Hillary backed down from the Democratic candidate race to Obama. It is my firm belief that Secretary of State was the consession behind closed doors back then, and this latest news just confirms it for me. I think she will be fine overall as secretary of state, but it still scares me. I just don't trust that whole Clinton clan.

Jason Arnett said...

I don't think it's a bad idea, and her name certainly makes some things a little easier. Like you, I was concerned, and went back and forth on it, but wasn't it Bill who reopened relations with Iran? I may be wrong, but it sticks with me...

Thanks for pointing me to Sullivan again. I've liked him on Bill Maher recently, even if Bill didn't.

grantbond said...

make with the art, cartoon boy.

Scott Chantler said...

Yeah. Stop thinking about Hillary Clinton and post me some art to look at. I need my fix.

Ande Parks said...

Art post tomorrow!!!