Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Quick Hit- a Great Quote Swiped from Andrew Sullivan's Blog

If you haven't read my blog much in the past, you may not know about my appreciation for Andrew Sullivan. I think he is wonderful... a political blogger I completely respect even though I don't share all of his views. Please check him out at his blog.

At the top of that blog right now is an amazing quote of the day from Democratic Senator Jim Webb. This is a subject I'm really passionate about, and one that I think most Americans have closed their eyes to. Most of us say, "More prisons! Longer sentences! Get these monsters off the streets!" It ain't that simple. I think our whole penal system is dysfunctional. I'm gonna write about it someday... unless, of course, it gets fixed before I can get to it.


Anyway, the quote:

"Let's start with a premise that I don't think a lot of Americans are aware of. We have five percent of the world's population; we have 25 percent of the world's known prison population. There are only two possibilities here: either we have the most evil people on earth living in the United States; or we are doing something dramatically wrong in terms of how we approach the issue of criminal justice," - Jim Webb whose criminal justice reform bill has won some encouraging support on the right.

That's all for now!

Anj

No comments: