Thursday, April 9, 2009

Busy Day

Short post today, as my day is super-packed. School board in the morning, some inking commissions to finish, some ebay shipping, a shopping trip. Oh yeah... I need to write some, too.

I will write briefly about the current writing project, Ciudad. If you're a regular reader here, you know that it's a South American kidnapping story, that it's been optioned by Paramount, and that I developed the book with a couple of Hollywood directors (Joe and Anthony Russo). It's a really intense, realistic action book, set in a very dark, corrupt place.

So, this book is going to be dense. There's a lot to get done in the 150 pages I've allotted myself. In addition, action in comics takes some space. You can't do multiple actions in the same panel very effectively, so a big action sequence requires a lot of panels to play out in a way that reads well.

Because of this, and the fact that the development of this story was rather cinematic, I decided to write the book on an eight panel grid. That does not mean that every page will have eight panels. It just means that the underlying structure is a grid that consists of four tiers of two panels. On almost every pages, I'm trying to feature at least on wide panel that joins two of those panels. Placing these wider shots is an interesting exercise. Sometimes I do it to establish the setting. Sometimes I do it for emotional impact. Sometimes I just want to hit the reader with a bold image.

This is not the way I really prefer to work. I just thought it was best for this particular project. Time will tell, but I'm happy with how it's going so far. Now... we gotta talk this super-talented young man into drawing all these panels...

That's it for now! I'm off to the drawing board, literally!

Best,
Anj

1 comment:

Jason Arnett said...

The 8-panel grid was what I liked best about Guy Davis' art on Sandman Mystery Theater as it really lent that cinematic element to the stories. Good choice!