Friday, April 3, 2009

Okay... Transitions

Well, I was gonna write earlier. Had a whole post just about done, as a matter of fact. Then, I re-read the damn thing, and it was too much. I was too mouthy and negative for my own good. I put off blogging for a long time for this very reason- I was afraid that if I was honest and blunt enough to be interesting, I'd be shooting myself in the foot. That's how the whole art collection commentary came to be. And then I got too lazy for that, and here I am anyway...

So, I'll try this again, and I'll try to behave this time.

I've been writing a lot of scene transitions in Ciudad. This first act features a lot of quick hit setups, and I've been trying to find cool ways to link stuff together and engage the reader. Most often, it's a trailing bit of dialogue from the previous page. If I'm good or lucky enough, the dialogue either smoothly fits with or contrasts with the art on the new page. Alan Moore does it much better, but I try.

The problem I have is that I'm deathly afraid of being clever in my work. Like my hero Orson Welles, I want whatever craft I bring to the work to be as transparent as possible. In Orson's case, he had insane amounts of talent to pull him through. I only have handfuls, so it's more of a challenge.

The point is that I don't ever want to be one of those writers that you read and consciously think, "Ohh... that was really clever the way he did that trick there." Blech... I cringe at the thought of it. So, while I do enjoy writing clever transitions, I'm terrified that those transitions might ever be recognized as being... you know ... clever.

So... that was my week in a nutshell. See how hard it is for me to be a writer? I guess there are some writers who just throw it down and walk away, confident that they've delivered what was called for. I doubt that will ever be me. I throw it down, sheepishly step back, and then rush to pick it up again and apologize.

And so, thanks to a few shots of Jack, a blog about transitions has turned into a blog about my fragile writer self-esteem. Be here Monday, folks, when I dissect my body image!

That's it for now. Have a cool weekend, and check me out again next week.

Best,
Anj

1 comment:

mar said...

Never fear the clever. If anything, there's not enough clever in comics and art these days.