Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Oof!

Been a rough start to the week, and I'm feeling kind of buried. I'll try to get back soon with some more cogent analysis, but I'm not feeling it this morning.

I do have something to offer, though! A couple of years ago, I got to ink one of my all-time heroes, Rick Leonardi. It was really challenging, thrilling, and rewarding. Here are pencils and inks of one the coolest pages.

In inking Leonardi, I try to accomplish several things: First, I want to make it as readable as possible (this is always my top priority, no matter who I'm inking). Next, I want to preserve Leonardi's unique line, while pulling the stuff together a little bit. Finally, I want to bring something of myself to the party... again, without overpowering Rick's fantastic style.

Enjoy!

Anj

2 comments:

mellon said...

These are still some of my favorite pages of yours. Beautiful stuff. Leonardi has always been a big influence on me, so seeing your process of working over him (then and now) is still awe-inspiring. Great stuff.

Justin said...

I love Leonardi. Such a subtle yet unique style. You see it, and know... but it doesn't overwhelm a story. Always a favorite